Monday, September 6, 2010

Semana 6 de Septiembre 2010

¿Que paso con mi correo electronico? Usualmente tengo mas correo, pero esta bien. Bueno, did you you guys get my question about the dog zappers? You know, the device that makes a sound that drives dogs crazy? So crazy they stop barking in your face all day (throwing dog spit at you) and run away. Could you please do a little research on the subject. If the device exists (It was well described by a ex-argentine missionary who loved it dearly), you could make a good hundred missionaries day or at least one (me) very very happy. Stupid ugly bad dogs. I hate dogs. (My companion says the people we are trying to contact don´t like it when I throw rocks in dogs mouths while they are barking and might get angry).
           Wow, Argentina. Missionary work here is similar to that of Utah. The thing that makes it easier here is not everyone is Mormon so it´s much easier to share the gospel. The thing that is more difficult is unlike the friendly Mexicans who are willing to have a good conversation, the Argentinians are very VERY occupado. This is the busiest place on earth according to the Argentinians. Everyone is always doing something very important making it so they don´t have time to talk to us. From cooking, to sleeping to doing nothing at all, the Argentinians always have something they need to be doing. Never in my life have I had people shake their fingers at me from the window and then close their blinds, all the time. I´m in South America where most places the work is booming, however Argentina is different. Argentina is more European that the U.S. My companions brother had baptisms every weekend in Mexico. Here that is not the case. We are however teaching some very good people. Who they are, I am still figuring that out.
             Comodoro Rivadavia. On the beach. Though we are always close to the beach you never notice it. Why? There are no waves here. If I didn´t know where I am, and you told me the ocean is the Great Salt Lake I would believe you. I have never seen a wave. Some days it is almost as flat and looks like glass. I cannot believe its the ocean because it is so incredibly calm. There are no boats or anything out there in the ocean. It´s like it doesn´t even exist. It is also so cold no one ever goes there. What is not calm is the wind. Comodoro is the Capital of wind. Wind usually all day every day. Wind and more wind. It is also very dry here. I cannot figure out why the Patagonia is famous. It´s just like the high plains of Wyoming. It´s almost completely flat and dry with wind. If there was not oil here then no one would live here. Oil is the only reason people are here. Almost everyone is an immigrant in this city. I did meet one native. He said he knew everything about us Christians. He was a Mapuche Indian who believes and participates in nature ceremonies which was interesting. There are also people here from Ghana and other African countries because Argentina is open to their immigration. Of course the are Germans, Polish, and Austrian people who came here in the fourties After world war 2. Can´t figure out why they immigrated here. Then there are hordes of your typical Argentines with Spanish and Italian ancestry
        Members. Some members are great. Don´t forget to magnify your callings. You really see on the mission who is working and who isn´t. Don´t forget apostasy comes easy. Read your scriptures DAILY, pray all the time, and go to church. We have success in this mission because of the examples of the members or lack of it for the same reason. Have good relations with your neighbours. If you don´t you hurt the church and the missionary work. If there is any animosity between you and your nieghbours then fix it and fix it soon.
         Missionary work is not hard. What makes it hard is it never ends. There are no breaks. P-Day is like a dream. It is great however. When I am prompted to teach a specific topic and testify after having listened to an investigator, I often see tears. I usually feel nothing but it often seems they do. I haven´t seen crazy miracles and don´t understand most things. However I have seen the miracle of my life, that being my repentence and me on a mission. I am now seeing that in others. I cannot deny that there is a God and that Jesus Christ really did atone for our sins.
        Got to fly. Another sixty hours of walking around having people telling me they are very Ocupado await.
        -Elder Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment