Guadalajara Mexico. That's were I feel I am. Everyone seems to be from that state or close to it. My housing arrangements: I live in the basement of a member's home. I sleep on one of my companion's mattresses on the floor in that sheet mom sewed right before I left home. It is very comfortable. We ride some very special bikes everywhere. The neighborhood is very similar to Rose Park in SLC.
This last week has all blended into one. I've met all kinds of people, and the vast majority I have not been particularly impressed with. People of note: The crazy baptist minister. I learned from him that I am going to hell because I have not accepted Jesus Christ in my heart. Once I do that, no matter what I do I will be saved or something to that effect. It was frustrating because he let me say very little and spent a good half hour telling me a bunch of stuff which of course was right because he had made those conclusions while reading the Bible. It's frustrating meeting people who are to say the least, close minded and are unwilling to consider anything that they did not come up with.
Lots of Random Mexicans. Every Mexican is willing to listen and will even on occasion let you into their houses. The problem:
Me: "When can we set a time to return back, or will you keep this and that commitment.At least a few of the white people we have talked to have been blunt about what they think by telling us to leave and stay off of their property. People treat us like we are dumb. It's not like we can't see through their excuses. Also you can't forget the "I was born a Catholic and will die a Catholic". When I talk to these people I often find I know more about their beliefs then they do about their religion. Most of them hardly practice it.
Them: Uh, I will call you back. I need to go talk to somebody in my house. Oh just come back when I am (not) here.
And their commitments: "Reading words hurts my eyes or give me a headache." (Preciously having watched a Spanish soap Opera) "We don't have time to watch your video, we are too tired."
But there has been some good. The missionaries have been meeting with Silvia for several months now. When we taught her she talked about the Book of Mormon. To my disbelief, she has read all the way to Mosiah. I will always tip my hat to Any one who gets through the Isaiah chapters. She said she likes the book because she is seeing a change in herself. She says that since she has started reading it she has been a lot nicer to her children. Apparently she struggles with that.
Enrique: He was a really cool guy. He says he would like to learn more but he needs to work as much as he can including Sundays before he has to go back to Mexico. The police are in the area with lists of illegals and are deporting people. The people above his apartment abruptly left a few days before. As a side note, at one of the houses we stopped at there was a woman stuffing as many of her belongings as she could into here car because she was leaving there and then. She said she does not know where she is going. Apparently the police have found her out. Anyways, Enrique is trying to make as much money before he is sent back to Mexico.
Javier: We talked to him too long. He was willing to listen to us but then he started talking about how weird Jehovah'd Witnesses are and since we don't talk about other religions it was awkward. He says will call us back (probably not).
Then there was Damien. If I have ever met people like this in my life they are very few. He felt prompted to talk to my companions when he saw them on the street. He agreed to meet with them and he indeed was there for his appointment. He is going through a very hard time in his life. He said that there is a time for all things. He said now he feels this is the time for learning and he is ready. He said he is willing to hear our words. I shared my experience of people being put in my life at times when I really needed them, and how those people have changed my life forever. He shared the same experience. He said he feels like he weighs half of his 216 pounds while we were talking to him. In short for a very long time I have wanted to see a conversion experience similar to my own, and I was seeing it as I learned of his story. I had a new feeling of really wanting this guy to change his life. To make everything better. To experience the same joy and happiness that I have. I worry though. He works night and I think he was sleeping during our appointment yesterday. I hope he keeps an open mind and really does put forth the effort to change his life.
Time is out and that is enough to have written,
-Elder Reed
I want his Email. it is bradley. is that ok?
ReplyDelete