Dear people,
We've had a slow week. Nothing happened on the 24th of July. We mostly proselyte in Little Mexico. It is an area where almost everyone is from Guanajuato, Guadalajara, and Michoacan. As we're talking to the people, they tell us: We're Catholic. I'm like cool, I'm Mexican. Whoever is Mexican is Catholic. Most of them don't even seem to know what their religion is about. Mexican people are very happy to talk to you. They however will not set up appointments and if they do, they will not be there. If they are, they all of a sudden have something very important to do. Yesterday we went to the appointments, and "no one was home". We sat down on the grass disappointing from being stood up for the twentieth time and I watched the window. As I was doing so the curtain was quickly pulled back and then put back again so whoever was inside could see if we were still there are not. Wow.
All is not bad. I went on a split with the Elder's Quorum president from one of our two wards. Who was very spiritual and for the two people we amazingly were able to teach that night, he bore a powerful testimony. He is a young Mexican man who joined the church six years ago and seems to be a very important part of the ward, helping to keep it together. Our lessons went so well that the people we were teaching agreed to come to church. 8:30 Sunday morning when all the neighborhood was sleeping Amparo opened the door in his nice clothes with his long black hair washed and combed back. To me it was a miracle. He came to church and learned about such basic principles as signs of the second coming and the importance of them, specific duties of the Aaronic Priesthood, and Mormon Pioneers when I don't think he's even learned about the restoration. Anyways, I was just very happy to have him there. It seemed to get the members a little excited about missionary work as well.
There are forty-two wards in our area, but only two of them are Spanish. This gives us a small member pool to work with. The members are what really move this work forward. With out their help, not much seems to get done. If it wasn't for an incredibly dedicated Ward Mission Leader I'm not sure much work would get done at all. I feel bad about all the time and effort this good Chilean man gives in helping us with the missionary work. I can't believe I've been on a mission for a month. It feels like I've been out longer.
-Elder Reed
No comments:
Post a Comment