Monday, October 3, 2011
Conference Weekend
People,
I don´t know why, but for the last four or five years I´ve been obsessed about Africa. I always have looked at Nigeria, South Africa, and Ghana and said, wow, those places have temples, and Congo? I have great desires to go to Congo. Don´t know why. Anyways, I couldn´t believe that they announced a temple in Kinshasa, Congo. And another in Durban, South Africa? What´s next, Mozambique? Very exciting.
Kind of a stressful weekend for me. People in the other General conference sessions that I have been in left in between sessions. Not in General Roca, they all stayed and lots had some sort of leadership meeting. (We got in a little argument when I was taking chairs out of their room for a baptism). Very little space.
So I worked hard all week to get people to general conference. I have lost hope in the human race once again. The lameness of people really does astound me some days.
So we invited, committed, called..... and Friday night I said to myself, so there are like ten coming but from past experience of how people act, if just Nelvin comes I will be very happy. I felt good with Nelvin. He seemed sincere. We went to pick him up and he was all ready to go. We went to the church and got on the rented bus with all the other members who were going that day to the conference. He seemed zoned out from most of the conference, except for the missionary talk by the Japanese seventy. He paid attention to that one and said it was a good talk. Very interested in us as missionaries, and seemingly not a whole lot else. But then again I think he is Bolivian, and Bolivians tend to be quiet people. We will see what he thought of the conference on Tuesday.
I went to Ingeniero Huergo on Tuesday during divisions. I small little town. We went out and visited a less active family out in the orchards. We came back when it was dark which was cool. Nobody around, very dark, and quiet. Kind of like being in the forest at night. I´m always perplexed as to why some people a fully active (meaning they do everything they are supposed to and are very helpful, of whom there are few), and others are not. One of the daughters is fully active, with absolutely no support from her family. I guess it boils down to a testimony. If you have a testimony and want to inherit eternal life, I suppose you will act accordingly. If not, you won´t. For something so big and so important, it´s sad to see there aren´t more active people. I suppose something so great isn´t easy to acquire. It gives me lots of animo to know there are others out there striving to achieve the same goal, in all parts of the world, even in a house removed from some obscure town in the Patagonia.
So I am very happy that I got an investigator to General Conference. It was also good for me to see all the members there at the conference. It´s so different from Utah (I know that is a given), but seriously it is hard being in an environment where so few people believe in and live the gospel. It is good however to know that there are some who really do live the gospel.
Church is true. Enjoying life right now. I hope the same for everyone else,
-Elder Reed
Labels:
Conference,
investigators,
testimony
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment