Hola Todos,
I will be here in Comodoro Rivadavia until Christmas if not until early February. Want a spiritual story? Well here it is: We were in B Simsografica heading to the fence of alambre de pua so we could jump it, tresspass as we crossed the golf course, and make it to Barrio Saavedra. We did not. As we approached the fence a saw some old man who I was like I´ll contact him so I can boost my numbers. He has no where to hide. I told him who we were and he promptly and happily invited us into his house which is something that does not happen often here if ever. We learned that he had talked to missionaries 25 years earlier. They taught him the lessons, had him read significant parts of the Book of Mormon, and then lost contact we think when he moved to the north. We left him a movie, and when we came back he was watching it with some friends and had watched it about five times at that point. We taught him. He loved everything. Accepted everything. Kept his commitments. Was always telling us thank you. I´m like what? You came to church by yourself? You are always at your appointed lesson time? He told us he is a man of his word and keeps anything he says he will do. That is something I have not seen in this country.
His perspective according to what he told us as we were going to his baptismal interview. He had made some poor choices, and was facing the consequences. He has great faith in God and Jesus Christ. He was feeling really bad to the point where he felt like ending his life. He prayed to god to send someone to help him. After his prayer he felt had to get up and go outside. When he did that he immediately ran into us. I have had the wonderful opportunity to watch someone go through the process of repentance. It´s great to see the joy that comes into someones life as they sincerely repent.
It turns out that Luis cannot get baptized for quite some time. Probably months and surely past the time I will be here. We do not have the authority to authorize his baptism, nor teach him any longer since he just moved out of our area. It was however a pleasure to meet him and a wonderful break from the sometimes emotionally tiring work of contacting. We are teaching a Peruvian woman right now who took the lessons from missionaries in Peru. She seems to be a most wonderful person. Very humble and kind. Our recent convert, Patricia is still coming to church. Her mom though she seems to like us and has learned many things, seems to prefer the homely comfort of the Catholic Church. I don´t think the name Church of Jesus Christ, the church of indeed the Jesus Christ that everyone believes in rings a bell in anyone's ear. We also have some other investigators who are keeping their commitments, but who knows.
Living it up in Comodoro Rividavia. Yes the land of Patagonia. The the most wonderful spectacular place that rings the sound of adventure in the ears of those who are not familiar with it. The End of the World as they say. I hope you enjoy the photos. I continue to learn a lot of pretty much everything. I am learning many good life lesson I would not have been able to learn if I had not come of the mission, along with being able to touch the lives of some because I am here.
-Elder Reed
No comments:
Post a Comment