Monday, May 16, 2011

May


People,
   My companion was sick so we spent a couple of days in the apartment. Finished Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. That apostle had a brain and a lot of common sense.  Great book.
   I tire how my time isn´t worth anything to anybody. Were just dropping people who make no time for us. Excuses.
  A very interesting Sunday. We have a lot of trouble getting anyone to church. The most I have had in Church in my mission is four and that is how many were there yesterday, although we were only expecting two. Our super awesome most favorite coolest investigator Leandro brought his family to church who we haven´t even talked to. Is at all of his appointments, and understands everything. He was sharing what he learned from the Isaiah chapters of 1 Nephi. He say a bunch of cool points I´d failed to notice. This guy is making missionary work much much more enjoyable. Having an investigator who keeps ALL their commitments is a first for me in Argentina.
  I ran into an old investigator in the hall on the way to sacrament meeting which was the last thing I expected at the time. She moved to Buenos Aires over a month ago and was back visiting with her new husband. She married an ex missionary who had served in this mission. He was legit. (Anyone who goes to church while on vacation is a good member in my book). What bothered me is she is still not baptized and he told me she does not want to be pressured. She knows it´s true though. I have seen it´s very hard for people to drop tradition.
   Elder Asay and I saw how people are converted to Catholicism on the bus. Funniest thing I have seen in a month. This woman was staring at me for several minutes and so I asked her if she knew me. She said I had passed by her house a few weeks before and with a little description of the door contact it came back to me. We had taught a little of the restoration in the door contact though apparently none of it had registered. I asked if she would like us to come back teach her. She said, ¨No, I´m Catholic¨. (Typical). Her ¨seven year old taught then turns to her and says ¨Does that mean I´m Catholic¨, He moms says yes. Hilarious (you would have to have seen it. It was apparent the kid had never been to a church within her memory). A new Catholic convert. I´m Catholic.
    Interviewed and went to the baptism of a man in another area. I was more than impressed. Very repentant. Is marrying a recently re activated member.
    Not a whole lot happened this week though this week probably gave me more hope than any other week of my mission. This week I saw three groups of investigators and converts who I´m sure are staying and not only that, but will also build up the church. Sometimes in the mission months of failure build up and get you down. And to top that off you see that the last three years of converts in your area have all gone inactve. But little by little you find investigators like the above described which give you hope. After the trial of your faith, right?
    More door knocking and finding in the agenda for the week to come. And of course, our most awesome investigator Leandro.
Elder Reed
President and Sister Peterson at Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment