Monday, April 2, 2012

Argentina


Elder Mendoza, and Romeu and I with Cerro Catedral in the background

Elder Basile and I with Lago Guitierrez in the background




With Americans in Centro Civico/                                                               Elder Zamora, my comp.

People,
No reason to be negative so to leave out detail I pretty much got way mad, broke down, kicked myself out of my area, and am now being sent to where I started my mission in Comodoro Rivadavia. Goodbye Bariloche. My area here was everything I had ever hoped or could ask for in a mission area. I leave in just a couple hours and will be with Elder Streadbeck who was in my district in Villa Regina. Seemed like a really cool guy.
This week as I was wandering around some part of Bariloche, myself and another missionary were able to enter a house and teach the restoration to a woman who recently was a nun of the Catholic church, but who had decided she could do just as much good as a nun can in her life without being a nun. She seemed to understand the Restoration. She told us, what is hard for me to accept is that there is modern revelation. This is the first time that I have heard God talks today. Everyone always has said he used to talk, but you guys are the first people to tell me he talks to us now. She happened to be just visiting from Bahia Blanca. I have always wanted to think nun, monks, pastors and all that are sincerely looking for truth but have mostly been frustrated in that thought. For the first time in talking to one of these people, that was not the case.
Now I´m going to write about the culture of Argentina. I´m not too sure what is traditional and what is not, so I will just write about what I see.
Argies love music. Old people listen to Folkores and Chacareros, along with a significant number of young people. The most common music is Cumbia. They have expressed to me it is to them as Rap is to us. It´s very ugly. The bang a fork on a can and scream Cumbia! or Watch-i-tu-ro! The youth raise the volume on there cell-phones and listen to that as they walk aimlessly around.
Food. Argentines will always try to tell you they eat a lot of meat. (I´d say we eat more meat in America). The favorite kind of meal is Asado. It´s meat cooked on a grill (with salt for seasoning) salchichas, and morcilla (blood sausage). They eat a lot of bread. There are panadarias everywhere. They also eat facturas, which are basically french pastries (having come from France). They drink Yerba Mate all the time. Breakfast if the eat it is usually only bread and Mate. Lunch is the huge meal. Then there is Merienda at our dinner time. Then at nine at night they have a small dinner. They eat a lot of pasta. Tallarines (noodles) are the most common. Milanesa´s (chicken or fried breaded beef patties), stews, etc. Pizza is way common. They pre cook the dough before making it.
They wear soccer jerseys, girls often wear some sort of tights or jeans. Guys usually wear jeans. Oh, people of all ages wear Boinas (beret I think in English), which is some ugly hat. The ¨Gauchos¨ old people wear boinas, a hankerchief around the neck, I dress shirt and there pants are called Bombachas. People also wear a cheap shoe called garapatas or something like that.
Argentines love soccer, and that is pretty much all they like when it comes to the general population.
Argentines can be friendly in the sense that if you ask them for help they will give it to you.
Another interesting thing is that Bariloche is currently making the world´s biggest chocolate easter egg in Civic Center.
Have a most wonderful week.
-Elder Reed

Another one of "those days"




No comments:

Post a Comment